Sixty welcomes writers and artists to contribute to our archives through traditional and experimental arts writing around ideas, topics, and practices that are relevant to Chicago’s cultural landscapes within the city and as that culture resonates and manifests in other parts of the country and world. This opens up the possibility for writing that forefronts culture in Chicago and/or situates it within and alongside global contexts.
Priority will be given to writing by, about, and for communities of color, women, LGBTQIA, across disabilities, and the long list of voices neglected in mainstream conversations about art and culture. Priority will also be given to those who pitch a column idea or a series of articles that dig into a particular topic.
We publish writing + documentation that is thoughtful, generative, accessible to a variety of readers, and seeks to place Chicago culture within other related contexts–social justice, equity, technology, and other historical narratives or experiences.
We publish articles in the following forms:
- Written reviews of exhibitions, performances, talks, screenings, conferences, public art, current concerns, artist books, or catalogs (Approx. 500 words)
- Email + transcribed interviews (800 – 1000 words)
- Essays + Editorials (800 – 2000 words)
- Sound + video interviews, profiles, performance or talk documentation, and short films
- Weekly + monthly topic-driven columns or series
- Experimental writing + response
- Literature + Poetry + Lyrics
- Suggested reposts from other sites
- Assigned reviews + interviews
We accept pitches on an ongoing basis and pay all writers according to the type of article written ($25 – $100). All pitches go through a review process led by our editorial team, which considers what we have and have not already covered, the thoughtfulness and thoroughness of the pitch, and how closely it aligns with Sixty’s mission.
To submit your pitch, email the title, short summary, estimated word count, and when you hope to publish it along with a brief bio about yourself and your work, including a link to your website and/or work samples to WriteForSixty@sixtyinchesfromcenter.org.
Please allow 7-10 days for a response to your pitch. If it is time-sensitive, be sure to make note of that in the subject line of the email.